Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Winter Fruit Compote



Okay you have to try this! Yes this is my second post today (I actually will be adding one more yet today, since I am doing a lot of baking for the family for the holidays)! :) This compote is so amazing! I made it about a month ago to surprise Daniel with an at home date night. After the kids went to bed I set up a blanket by the fireplace, some candles, music, and a plate of this compote with some bread and cheese. And I am telling you it was one of the nicest most romantic dates we have ever had, and we didn't have to get a babysitter! So I highly recommend doing this! This also makes a great appetizer to have with friends and or family. And the aroma it will fill your house with is divine! :) Here's the recipe:

Winter Fruit Compote
1 cup dry white wine (I recommend Chardonnay)
1/4 cup sweet Marsala wine
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cinnamon stick
1/2 cup dried apricots, quartered
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup dried cherries
dash salt
1 cup granny smith apple, peeled and diced into 1/4 inch thick cubes
1 cup pears, peeled and diced into 1/4 inch thick cubes
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 wedge sharp cheddar (recommended)
1 wedge gorgonzola cheese (recommended)
small slices fresh bakery bread

In a medium sized saucepan bring the first 5 ingredients to a simmer. Stir slowly to dissolve the sugar into the liquid. Add the remaining ingredients expect for the lemon juice, cheese, and bread. When the liquid comes to a boil, adjust the heat to a low simmer for about 20 minutes to marry the flavors and soften the fruit. Turn off the heat then stir in the lemon juice. With a slotted spoon remove the fruit from the bowl. Remove and discard the cinnamon stick. Bring the remaining syrup to a simmer and reduce until lightly thickened or when the bubbles formed on the top become small. Remove the syrup from the heat and when it has cooled some pour it over the fruit and stir. Bring to room temperature and enjoy! Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator up to 4 days.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Wendy! I'm making this right now - well, very modified version, but still tastes great! Someone gave us a whole bunch of plums and some pears from their fruit tree and they're going bad, so Tony reminded me of something here called "compota", then I remembered seeing you post this on FB! Now my girl is begging me to make some of your deserts! Yum-O, thanks!

    ReplyDelete